What is the best way to manage multiple Python versions on a single machine?

Asked 7 months ago

I need to work on two Python projects that require different Python versions on my machine. What's your recommended approach for managing multiple Python versions? I want to avoid conflicts and ensure project-specific compatibility at all costs.

Delmar Reyes

Sunday, October 01, 2023

The best way to manage multiple Python versions on a single machine is by using a version management tool like "pyenv." Simply put, "pyenv" allows you to easily switch between multiple versions of Python, setting the global Python version on a per-user basis. Here's what you should do:

1. Install "pyenv" on your system.
  2. Use "pyenv" to install and manage different Python versions. To see all available Python versions, use the command "pyenv install --list".
  3. Set the Python version with the following command: "pyenv global 3.8.0" (taking 3.8.0 as an example).
  4. Create a virtual environment for each project, specifying the desired Python version.
  5. Activate the virtual environment when working on a specific project.

This approach allows you to have project-specific Python environments with the required versions, preventing conflicts and ensuring compatibility.

Write an answer...

Cancel

Please follow our  Community Guidelines

Can't find what you're looking for?