How can I implement user authentication and authorization in a Python web application using Flask and JWT (JSON Web Tokens)?

Asked 6 months ago

I'm creating a web application with Flask and I need to implement secure user authentication and authorization. I've heard JWT is a good method for this, but I'm not sure how to integrate it into my Flask app. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Jase Rutledge

Monday, November 20, 2023

To implement user authentication and authorization in your Flask app using JWT, start by choosing a Flask JWT extension like `Flask-JWT` or `Flask-JWT-Extended`. These extensions facilitate token generation, expiration, and validation.

Set up user authentication endpoints that issue JWTs upon successful login. In JWT, the token encodes user identity and can be set to expire after a certain period. Secure your routes by requiring valid tokens for access, and manage user permissions by including roles in the token payload.

Of course, remember to store the JWT securely in the client and use HTTPS to prevent token interception.

Write an answer...

Cancel

Please follow our  Community Guidelines

Can't find what you're looking for?