I'm getting the error "ImportError: DLL load failed" when importing a library in Python. How can I fix it?

Asked 4 months ago

While working on a Python project, I encountered an "ImportError: DLL load failed" error when trying to import a library. I need to understand what causes this error and how I can resolve it to continue my work.

Filip Dimkovski

Monday, December 18, 2023

The "ImportError: DLL load failed" error in Python typically occurs when a required DLL (Dynamic Link Library) file is missing, outdated, or incompatible with your system. To resolve this issue, first, ensure that the library you're trying to import is installed correctly. If it's a third-party library, reinstall it using `pip install <libraryname>`. Also, check if the library has any additional dependencies or specific system requirements.

Updating your Python installation to the latest version can also help. If the library requires a particular version of a system DLL, like a C++ redistributable, make sure it's installed and up to date on your system. In some cases, setting the correct system path to include the directory of the required DLLs can resolve the error.

Write an answer...

Cancel

Please follow our  Community Guidelines

Can't find what you're looking for?